Stage One: Initiative
• Everyone rolls Initiative: The result of a die roll + Dexterity + Composure.
The character with the highest Initiative performs her action first or may yield your character’s action until later in the Initiative queue or intro the next turn.
Stage Two: Attack
• Unarmed close combat: Strength + Brawl, minus target’s Defense
• Armed close combat: Strength + Weaponry, minus target’s Defense
• Ranged combat (guns and bows): Dexterity + Firearms, minus target’s Defense
• Ranged combat (thrown weapons): Dexterity + Athletics, minus target’s Defense and armor.
Add bonus dice based on weapon used or effect performed, and then subtract penalties for circumstance conditions. Roll your remaining pool. Each success equates to a Health point of damage inflicted, the type of which is determined by the nature of the attack. Remember to add Potency. Subtract Armor.
The Storyteller describes the attack and wound in narrative terms.
• Aiming: 8 again)
• Autofire Medium Burst: 10 or so bullets at one to three targets, with a 9 again); -1 per roll for each target if there’s more than one
• Autofire Short Burst: Three bullets at a single target with a +1 bonus to the roll
• Concealment: Barely -1; partially -2; substantially -3; fully, see “Cover”
• Dodge: Double target’s Defense
• Drawing a Weapon: Requires one action (one turn) without a Merit, and could negate Defense
• Firing from Concealment: Shooter’s own concealment quality (-1, -2 or -3)
reduced by one as a penalty to fire back (so, no modifier, -1 or -2)
• Offhand Attack: -2 penalty
• Prone Target: -2 penalty to hit in ranged combat; +2 bonus to hit when attacker is within close combat distance
• Range: -2 at medium range, -4 at long range
• Shooting into Close Combat: -2 per combatant avoided in a single shot (not applicable to autofire)
• Specified Target: Torso -1, leg or arm -2, head -3, hand -4, eye -5
• Surprised or Immobilized Target: Defense doesn’t apply
• Touching a Target: Dexterity + Brawl or Dexterity + Weaponry; armor may or may not apply, Defense does apply
• Willpower: Add three dice to any roll or +2 to a Resistance trait (Stamina, Resolve, Composure or Defense) in one roll or instance
• Blood Buff: Vampires can spend one blood point to gain +2 to any physical trait (Strength, Dexterity, Stamina) for one roll
Movement in Turns (each turn is 3 seconds)
At your initiative you may either
- Move + Move
- Move + Action (in either order)